The garden is intensively integrated into the courses of Biology Bachelor, Bachelor Applied Biology, Master, Master of Teaching, but also Food Chemistry:
- Excursions and guided tours (crop plants, biodiversity)
- Research projects for students in the field of Applied Botany and Crop Plants
- Experimental plants for practical courses
- Reference plants for molecular authentication (Master Biology, Food Chemistry)
- Green School (Master of Teaching)
Our focus is on European and tropical crop plants and plant genetic resources. The Northern part of the garden is used as school garden for the Pedagogic University.
We offer topical paths on different biological issues that are demonstrated in permanent experiments and on posters, such as the topical path "Plant Sex" with the famous experiment of Karlsruhe botanist Kölreuter, who discovered the foundations of genetics much earlier than Mendel, or an experiment on the genetic switches that control flower formation. All these experiments are integrated into teaching. In the "Green School" prospective teachers develop and test, as part of their personal skills new concepts for School classes.