3,3'-dihexyloxa carbocyanine iodide
- endoplasmic reticulum and nuclear envelope (at higher concentration, 2 µg/ml)
- mitochondria (at lower concentration, 0.2 µg/ml)
- both as vital dye or after fixation
- MW 572
- purchasable by Molecular Probes (Thermo Fisher) or Sigma-Aldrich
- stock solution: 2 mg of DiOC6 in 5 µl DMSO, fill up with 950 µl of water (1:1000)
- stain for 10 min, wash out unbound dye with distilled water.
- Can be infiltrated into leaves by syringe.
- phototoxic, in living cells observable only for a short time
- preserves dynamics even of cortical ER, if applied properly at low laser power
- excitation at 488 nm, fluorescence at 520 nm (FITC or GFP filter set)
- Martens et al. (2006) Quantification of Plasmodesmatal Endoplasmic Reticulum Coupling between Sieve Elements and Companion Cells Using Fluorescence Redistribution after Photobleaching.
- Quader H, Hofmann A, Schnepf E (1989) Reorganization of the endoplasmic reticulum in epidermal cells of onion bulb scales after cold stress: involvement of cytoskeletal elements. Planta 177: 273–280
- Van Gestel K, Verbelen JP (2002) Giant mitochondria are a response to low oxygen pressure in cells of tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.)