Profil Adnan Kanbar
Professional Curriculum vitae
July 2016 - Post-Doc fellowship at the Department of Molecular Cell Biology (group of Prof. Dr. Peter Nick), Botanical Institute, Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT), Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
March 2016 – July 2016 Post-Doc fellowship by the International Institute for Education (USA), Department of Molecular Cell Biology (group of Prof. Dr. Peter Nick), Botanical Institute, Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT), Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
2013-2014 Associate Professor, Dept. of Plant Production, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Benghazi, Libya.
2012-2013 Associate Professor, Dept. of Field Crops, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Damascus, Syria
2006-2012 Full-time Lecturer (Assistant Professor), Faculty of Agriculture, University of Damascus, Syria
2010 Post-Doc fellowship under MIF (The Matsumae International Foundation, Japan), Laboratory of Plant Genetics and Breeding, Dept. of Agriculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Japan.
2006 Ph.D. thesis "Participatory selection assisted by DNA markers for enhanced drought resistance and productivity in rice (Oryza sativa L). M. Sc (Agri.): Identification of DNA markers associated with root related traits under contrasting moisture regimes in rice (Oryza sativa L.)"
2002-2006 Ph.D. scholar, Dept. of Genetics and Plant Breeding, University of Agricultural Sciences- Bangalore, India funded by a ICCR Scholarship (PhD), Government of India
1999-2001 M.Sc. (Agri.) scholar, Dept. of Genetics and Plant Breeding, University of Agricultural Sciences- Bangalore-India funded by a ICCR Scholarship (M.Sc), Government of India
1998-1999 Full-time Lecturer (Assistant lecturer), Dept. of Field Crops, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Damascus, Syria
1997-1998 Plant breeder, Worked at the National Commission for Agricultural Scientific Research, Syria. Wheat and Barley breeding and improving productivity programs.
1992-1997 B.Sc (Agri.), Dept. of Field Crops, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Damascus, Syria 1992 Ministry of Education, Syria Higher Secondary Certificate in Science, Directorate of Education, Deraa, Syria
Areas of research
Crop breeding, applied biotechnology in crop improvement (Wheat, Barley, Rice, Sorghum), Marker-assisted selection for Abiotic stresses in field crops. Developing new varieties of sweet sorghum for producing biofuel.
1) Fundamentals of Genetics (Second year, theory and practical)
2) Plant Breeding and Genetic Engineering (Third year, theory and practical)
3) Fundamentals of Biotechnology (Fourth year, theory and practical, Dept. of Field Crops)
4) Quantitative Genetics (Fifth year, theory and practical, Dept. of Field Crops)
5) Genetic Evolution and Plant Improvement (Master, Dept. of Biotechnology)
Publications in refereed journals
1) Turki D.A., Aljamali, M., Adnan Kanbar, 2014, Potential of some sweet Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L.) genotypes under two water regimes for sugar and bio-ethanol production. Sugar Tech., 14(4): 376-382.
2) Adnan Kanbar and Ibrahim El-Drussi, 2014, Effect of salinity stress on germination and seedling growth of barley (Hordeum vulgare L. ) varieties. Advances in Environmental Biology, 8 (1): 244-247.
3) Idress Ahmed Al gehani and Adnan Kanbar, 2013, Multivariate statistical analysis of bulb yield and morphological characters in Garlic (Allium sativum L.). Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 7(14): 353 - 358.
4) Adnan Kanbar, Ibrahim El-Drussi, Idress Al-Gehani, 2013, Genotypic variability and DNA diversity studies in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench) varieties under contrasting moisture stress conditions. Advances in Environmental Biology, 7(13): 3937–3941.
5) Khalil Khamiss, Mahmoud Sabouh, Adnan Kanbar, 2011, Evaluating the Impact of Brassinolide on Ascorbate Peroxidase Activity During Brassica napus Embryo Development in Vitro. Journal of applied sciences research, 7(8): 1336-1339.
6) Turki D.A., Aljamali, M., Adnan Kanbar, 2011, Genetic Variation of Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench) Varieties Assessed by ISSR Markers. Advances in Environmental Biology, 5 (11): 3504-3510.
7) Adnan Kanbar, 2011, Discriminating between Barley (H. vulgare L.) Genotypes using Morphological and ISSR Markers. American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 5(3): 318-324.
8) Adnan Kanbar, Kondo K. and Shashidhar H.E., 2011, Comparative efficiency of pedigree, modified bulk and single seed descent breeding methods of selection for developing high-yielding lines in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under aerobic condition. Electronic journal of plant breeding, 2 (3): 184-190.
9) Adnan Kanbar and Kondo Katsuhiko, 2011, Efficiency of ISSR and RAPD dominant markers in assessing genetic diversity among Japanese and Syrian cultivars of barley (H. vulgare). Research journal of agriculture and biological sciences, Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, 7 (1): 4-10.
10) Turki D.A., Al-Jamali M., Adnan Kanbar, 2011, Relationship between shoot and sugar-related characters of sweet sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L.) under contrasting moisture regimes. American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 5(2): 252-257.
11) Toorchi M., Naderi1 R., Adnan Kanbar, Shakiba M.R., 2011, Response of spring canola cultivars to sodium chloride stress. Annals of Biological Research, 2 (5): 312-322.
12) Adnan Kanbar and H. E. Shashidhar, 2010, Participatory selection assisted by DNA markers for enhanced drought resistance and productivity in rice (Oryza sativa L.), Euphytica, 178 (1):137-150.
13) Adnan Kanbar, M. Toorchi, T. Motohashi, K. Kondo and H. E. Shashidhar, 2010, Evaluation of discriminant analysis in identification of deep and shallow rooted plants in early segregating generation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) using single tiller approach, Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 4(8): 3909-3916.
14) Adnan Kanbar, N. Pirany, A. Al-Ouda and H. E. Shashidhar, 2009, Understanding the allele shift using SSR markers in pedigree, modified bulk and SSD breeding methods in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Int. Ric. Res. Not., 34: 6 -9.
15) Adnan kanbar, M. Toorchi and H. E. Shashidhar, 2009, Relationship between root and yield morphological characters in rainfed low land rice (Oryza sativa L.). Crop Research communications. 37 (2): 261-268.
16) Vinod, M.S., Naveen Sharma, Adnan Kanbar, N.В. Prakash, H.E., Shashidhar, 2006, Candidate genes for drought tolerance and improved productivity in rice (Oryza sativa L.). J. Biosci., 31 (1):69-74.
17) Adnan Kanbar, A., Janamatti, M., Sudheer, E., Vinod, M. S. and Shashidhar, H. E., 2006, Mapping QTLs underlying seedling vigour traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Curr. Sci., 90: 24-26.
18) Adnan Kanbar, Shashidhar, H. E. and Mane, S. P., 2005, Genetic variability of root morphology and related traits in an indica-indica based mapping population of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Res. Crops, 6 (3): 539-541.
19) Shashidhar, H. E. Pasha, F. Janamatti, M. Vinod, M. S. Adnan Kanbar, 2005, Correlation and path coefficient analysis in traditional cultivars and doubled haploid lines of rainfed lowland rice (Oryza sativa L.). Oryza, 42 (2):156-159
20) Adnan Kanbar, Chandrashekara, M., Manjunatha, M., Vinod, M. S., Hittalmani, S., Janamatti, M. and Shashidhar, H. E., 2004, Molecular markers for root morphological traits under LMS using transgresant backcrosses of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Indian J. Genet., 64 (3): 185-188.
21) Adnan Kanbar, H. E. Shashidhar and S. Hittalmani, 2004, Correlation and path analysis for root morphological traits in indica x indica population of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Crop Res., 27: 94-98.
22) Adnan Kanbar, H. E. Shashidhar and S. Hittalmani, 2004, Genetics of root morphology and related characters in doubled haploid mapping population of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Indian J. Genet., 64: 58.
23) Adnan Kanbar, H. E. Shashidhar and S. Hittalmani, 2002, Mapping of QTL associated with root and related traits in japonica x indica DHpopulation of rice (O. Sativa L.). Indian J. Genet., 62: 287-290.
24) Mane, S. P., Adnan Kanbar, H. E. Shashidhar and S. Hittalmani, 2003, Molecular marker analysis for root length in a diverse germplasm of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Indian J. Genet., 63: 197-201.
25) Shashidhar, H. E., M. Toorchi, R. Venuprasad, Adnan Kanbar, Hima Bindu, Naveen Sharma, H. R. Prabudda, R. Vinod, and S. Hittalmani, 2003, Breeding for drought tolerance in rice. 3RD Workshop on Drought Tolerance in Rice, National Network Program of the Rockefeller Foundation, UAS, Bangalore, India, 22-25,Jul, Pp. 22-26.
26) Shashidhar, H. E., M. Toorchi, R. Adnan Kanbar, Naveen Sharma, and S. Hittalmani, 2001, PCR-based markers for quantitative traits associated with drought resistance and validation across populations and germplasm. 8th National Rice Biotechnology Network Meeting, Aurangabad, India, 21-25, Oct., Pp. 47-50.
Papers in Local Journals
27) Al-Saeed, H., F. Al-Biski, Adnan Kanbar, 2014, Callus induction and plant regeneration from mature embryo in grain Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Monech). Damascus University Journal for the Agricultural Science, 30 (3): 105-118.
28) Adnan Kanbar, 2012, Canonical correlation analysis for understanding the relationship between root and shoot morphological traits in Barley under contrasting moisture stress conditions during early growth stage. Damascus University Journal for the Agricultural Science, 28 (1): 77-89.
29) Yamama, H., Youssef, A. and Adnan Kanbar, 2011, The impact of plant density on the growth and adaptability of one cultivar and two hybrids of local Maize (Zea mays L.) in Damascus conditions. Al-Baath University Journal for the Agricultural Science 33 (2): 29-50.
Textbooks Published: (In Arabic language)
1) Adnan Kanbar, Doppo, S. and Ali, R., 2010, Plant Breeding and Genetic Engineering (Practical), Third year, Faculty of Agriculture.
2) Sabbouh, M., Hadeed, M. and Adnan Kanbar, 2009, Quantitative Genetics (Theory), Fifth year, Dept. of Field Crops, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Damascus.
3) Moutaouaj, A., Laound, S. and Adnan Kanbar, 2010, Fundamentals of Genetics (Theory), Second year, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Damascus.
4) Sabbouh, M., Haded, M. and Adnan Kanbar, 2011, Quantitative Genetics (Practical), Fifth year, Dept. of Field Crops, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Damascus,
General Books Published: (In Arabic Language)
1) Asood, SH. and Adnan Kanbar, 2011, Manual quantitative genetics and biostatistics in plant breeding, AL-Nour Press., Damascus, Syria
Books under publication: (In Arabic Language)
1) Adnan Kanbar, 2016, Dictionary of Plant Breeding,
Chapters in International Books:
1) H.E. Shashidhar, Adnan Kanbar, Mahmoud Toorchi, G.M. Raveendra, Pavan Kundur, H.S. Vimarsha, Rakhi Soman, Naveen G. Kumar, Berhanu Dagnaw Bekele and P. Bhavani, 2013, Breeding for Drought Resistance Using Whole Plant Architecture — Conventional and Molecular Approach. In: S.B. Andersen (eds.) Plant Breeding from Laboratories to Fields, ISBN 978-953-51-1090-3, 288 pages, Publisher: InTech, Pp: 151-166.
1) Evaluation the Response of Some Barley Varieties for Tolerance to Abiotic Stresses (Drought and Salinity) In vitro and their Molecular Typing.
a. From 13/5/2010 to 13/5/2011.
b. Amount: 3000 US $.
2) Genetic development of hybrids and varieties of Potato tolerant to Biotic and Abiotic stresses, and production of disease – free seeds.
a. From /7/2009 to 7/2013.
b. Amount : 100,000 US $.
3) Developing of high sugar yielding sweet sorghum hybrids tolerant to drought and assessment of gene expression levels of genes responsible for sugar production.
a. From /9/2011 to 9/2014.
b. Amount : 40,000 US $.
4) TEMPUS Project "Accreditation-Pathway to quality assurance". Member of national academic committee in Syria, Representing Faculty of Agriculture, Damascus University.
Main Supervisor: Five M.Sc students (Faculty of Agriculture) Co-Supervisor: Two PhD students (Faculty of Agriculture) (Not completed) Four M.Sc students (Faculty of Agriculture)
Past research and Achievements
1- Associated with the development and releasing the first nature-friendly drought resistant aerobic rice variety ‘ARB6’ in India, which not only consumes substantially less water but can also take Indian farmers to the Credit Emission Reduction (CER) trade at the international arena. Aerobic rice consumed half the amount of water of conventional variety consumes and has longer roots that help in better absorption of water and facilitate better air ventilation.
2- Identification of mapping of some QTLs associated with drought tolerance in rice.
3- Identification some candidate gene linked to drought tolerance in rice.
4- Isolation, sequencing and gene expiration of Sus1 gene in Sweet Sorghum.
5- Studying the genetic diversity of Japanese and Syrian cultivated Barley.
6- Developing a new method in plant breeding named ―Single Small Scale-Marker Assisted Participatory Selection (SSS-MAPS)‖. Using this method, identification and validation of associated markers with root length has been done in early segregating generations and linked markers has been used to identify deep rooted lines from farmer’s forwarded higher yielding selected plants in advance generations.
Indian Society of Genetics & Plant Breeding, New Delhi, India. Plant Breeders Association, Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Carbon Sequestration School, Bangalore, Karnataka, India. International Biometric Society, India. Cooperation of Agricultural Engineering, Damascus, Syria